10/2/10

First one!

OK blogging... not the newest way to tell the world what I'm thinking, but here it goes.

well lets hit the ball rolling. I'm here to talk about a new way of reading, no none of that e-reader stuff. I'm talking about not caring what others think about you when you sit in public and pull out a book.

It is one of my favorite things to do is sit somewhere and count how many people stop by just to ask what book I'm reading. Now that I have been doing this for awhile I find that depending on the type of book, I'll just say "a book." But I also find that if its a not so normal book I can't wait for someone to ask me about it. Well that all might have been confusing if you don't know me but its about stereotyping. Its about having a 19 year old girl told she has no business reading George Orwell and she should go pick up a Jane Austin and leave the Communism theories to the men.

Yes that happened to me last week. I was sitting at a park enjoying the sun and Animal Farm when an elderly gentleman and his grandson walk up and ask me why a "pretty thing" like me would want to worry her "pretty little head" about the affairs of men. Well from a man who grew up in the depression I expected it, but not from a boy no older then I am who grew up after  the feminist movement. The only way to answer him was to walk away, but in my mind I yelled "What is your problem, why do you want to push me back into the stone age. This is 2010 I have the right to read any book I want, about any subject I want. Those subjects might not be what you would pick for me but i will read anything that I, keyword there, I am interested in."

Well there is the inspiration that had me start this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment